chose to have my side panels removable. Before removing the
panels I clamped into place previously, I marked all the holes
on the panel with pencil. On the existing tabs for the panel
screws I tapped the holes with a ¼' x 20 tap and used
a ¼ x 1" bolt with a brass acorn nut and finish
washer. A hole had to be drilled and tapped in the front body
frame and a hole drilled in the wood floor supports (LK1710M).
A 2" bolt is needed for the front mount thru the frame,
Locktite was used to secure all the bolts. Now I have 8 studs
evenly spaced for the panels.
The plywood side panels are prone to splintering when drilling
thru, use a small starter drill first, then chamfer all the
holes front and back. Now you can follow thru with a ¼"
drill bit and follow the edges with the chamfer again. Test
fit panels to the body, perfect fit.
I used a good paint primer on both sides and applied 2 coats
of Gloss Black paint to each side; I also painted the floor
supports Black as well.
While the paint was drying I made up plugs for the water tanks
so I could add the POR 15 tank sealer and coat all the sides.
Let the tanks drain the excess for at least 30 minutes. When
the POR 15 sets remove the plugs and make sure the threads are
clean. Let the tanks sit for 2 days.
I polished the brass water tank cap, it looks great. Installed
the water tanks and side panels, and stood back to admire my
creation. Now it's looking like the Locomobile that we are replicating.
I was having some trouble with my camera and some of the pictures
came out a little dark.
Till next installment, Happy Building
pictures to enlarge
One and Two
Three and Four Kits
Four-B and Five
Kits Six and Eight
Ten Addendum Kit Eleven
Thirteen Kit Fourteen
Year End Kit
Kits Seventeen / Eighteen
Fuel Line, Brake &
Throttle Pedal Installation Final
Kit Final Assembly
& Steam Up
Road Test & Modifications